FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION
FOCUSED EXCLUSIVELY ON
PERSONAL INJURY CASES.
NOT A HIGH-VOLUME LAW FIRM.
YOU WILL GET PERSONALIZED SERVICE.
YOU WILL SPEAK WITH A LAWYER.
RULES OF THE ROAD
PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY
BICYCLE RULES OF THE ROAD
- “When feasible”, when overtaking and passing a bicycle on the roadway, the operator of a motor vehicle must leave at least THREE FEET between the vehicle and the bicycle until safely past the bicycle. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-56).
- Ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practical, except: when turning left, avoiding hazards, the lane is too narrow to share with a motor vehicle, traveling at the same speed as traffic, passing a stopped vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction, or when there is a right turn only lane and you are not turning right. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-294).
- Persons riding bicycles on the roadway can not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, parts of the roadway set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special permit is issued by a local government. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-294).
- Where a bicycle lane is provided on the roadway, the operator of a motor vehicle must yield to a person operating a bicycle in the bicycle lane. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-55).
- When riding in a bicycle lane you must ride in the same direction as traffic on the roadway. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-294).
- No person under the age of 16 shall operate a bicycle without wearing a helmet. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-296).
- When riding at night, your bike must be equipped with a front white light visible from 300 feet and a red reflector on the rear. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-296).
- The parent of any child and the guardian of any ward shall not authorize or knowingly permit their child or ward to violate the rules of the road. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-297).
- A child under the age of one year may not ride as a passenger on a bicycle but may ride seated in a bicycle trailer or carried in an infant sling. (O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-292).
- RIDE SAFELY, RIDE PREDICABLY, KEEP A PROPER LOOKOUT, SIGNAL, BE VISIBLE, PASS ON THE LEFT, SHOW RESPECT, and OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS.
(O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-290 et seq.).
(Violations of the above rules are punishable as misdemeanors.)
Bernard Hoppenfeld, Attorney at Law
3348 Peachtree Road, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30326
Assisting Those Hurt at Work
If you have been hurt on the job, workers’ compensation may not cover all of your expenses. There may be other options if a third party was responsible for your injuries. We can help you recover compensation from the negligent parties involved in your work-related injury.
Contact an Experienced Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney If you have been injured as a result of someone’s negligent, reckless or wrongful acts, you can turn to Bernard Hoppenfeld, Attorney at Law. Our Atlanta law firm offers free initial consultations in personal injury matters. Contact us online or call us at 404-261-7400.
English: 404-261-7400 | Español: 404-683-7411